GODDAMN IT TUMBLR, CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US THEIR NAMES?!?!?
- Ching Shih was a prominent pirate in middle Qing China, who terrorized the China Sea in the early 19th century. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates another estimate has Cheng’s fleet at 1800 and crew at about 80,000— men, women, and even children. She challenged the empires of the time, such as the British, Portuguese and the Qing dynasty. Undefeated, she would become one of China and Asia’s strongest pirates, and one of world history’s most powerful pirates. She was also one of the few pirate captains to retire from piracy.
- Nancy Wake (one of the few white women on this list; of course you put her name on the graphic…)
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko
- Rukhsana Kausar
- The Gulabi gang (gulabi is Hindi for “pink”) was founded by Sampat Pal Devi, a mother of five and former government health worker (as well as a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women.Gulabis visit abusive husbands and threaten to beat them with laathis (sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. Al Jazeera reports there are 400,000 members across Northern India.
- Neejra Bhanot was just 22 when terrorists from the Abu Nidal Organization hijacked Pan Am Flight 73, where she was the senior flight purser. After 17 hours (and yes, hiding American passports to protect those passengers), when the hijackers opened fire and set off explosives, Bhanot opened the emergency door and helped a number of passengers escape. She could have been the first to jump out when she opened the door but she decided not and was shot while shielding three children from a hail of bullets. Bhanot was recognized internationally as “the heroine of the hijack” and is the youngest recipient of the Ashok Chakra Award, India’s most prestigious gallantry award for bravery during peace time.
- Zainab Bibi, 42, allegedly told authorities she killed her husband Ahmad Abbas because he tried to sexually assault her 17-year-old daughter from another marriage.
- In September 2006, Susan Kuhnhausen found an intruder in her southeast Portland, OR home. “I saw a man step out of the shadows and he began to hit me in the head and the face with a hammer,” said Kuhnhausen. “I got the hammer and started hitting him with the hammer several times. My father, the carpenter, always taught me a hammer could be used for self defense — the claw end would work the best,” said Kuhnhausen. Kuhnhausen’s husband, Michael, had hired Ed Haffey to kill his wife.
- Seriously, fuck this one. The photo is of Parinya Chareonphol or Nong Thoom who is a kathoey, which many Thai believe to be a third gender (as opposed to the Western idea of ‘transgender’.) After a short time as a Buddhist monk, she took up Muy Thai kickboxing to support her parents and make enough money to pay for her sex-reassignment surgery, and basically kicked ass at it for several years. She was not “constantly made fun of before fights;” the Muy Thai community embraced her and her presence greatly revitalized both media and public interest in the sport, as shown by increased ticket sales and stadium revenue. The movie Beautiful Boxer was made about her, and she has recently acted in Mercury Man as well as continuing to kickbox. So yeah, fuck this one hard.
- Juliane Diller née Koepcke was the only survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 crash in 1971. Despite sustaining a broken collar bone, a deep gash to her right arm, a concussion and an eye injury in the fall, she was able to trek through the dense Amazon jungle for 10 days, until she was rescued by local lumbermen, who subsequently took her by canoe back to civilization. It was later discovered that as many as 14 other passengers also survived the initial fall from the disintegrated plane but were unable to seek help and died while awaiting rescue.
Seriously, guys, this took me like 20 minutes using Google and Wikipedia. These women are real people with real names and real stories. Please don’t reduce them to a picture (most of which came from Wikipedia in the first place oh my god i know you were there) and an “uplifting” story.
Look at these kickass women, and remember their names!!
They are so damn raw
"Image Credit: Carol Rossetti
When Brazilian graphic designer Carol Rossetti began posting colorful illustrations of women and their stories to Facebook, she had no idea how popular they would become.
Thousands of shares throughout the world later, the appeal of Rosetti’s work is clear. Much like the street art phenomenon Stop Telling Women To Smile, Rossetti’s empowering images are the kind you want to post on every street corner, as both a reminder and affirmation of women’s bodily autonomy.
"It has always bothered me, the world’s attempts to control women’s bodies, behavior and identities," Rossetti told Mic via email. "It’s a kind of oppression so deeply entangled in our culture that most people don’t even see it’s there, and how cruel it can be."
Rossetti’s illustrations touch upon an impressive range of intersectional topics, including LGBTQ identity, body image, ageism, racism, sexism and ableism. Some characters are based on the experiences of friends or her own life, while others draw inspiration from the stories many women have shared across the Internet.
"I see those situations I portray every day," she wrote. "I lived some of them myself."
Despite quickly garnering thousands of enthusiastic comments and shares on Facebook, the project started as something personal — so personal, in fact, that Rossetti is still figuring out what to call it. For now, the images reside in albums simply titled “WOMEN in english!" or "Mujeres en español!" which is fitting: Rossetti’s illustrations encompass a vast set of experiences that together create a powerful picture of both women’s identity and oppression.
One of the most interesting aspects of the project is the way it has struck such a global chord. Rossetti originally wrote the text of the illustrations in Portuguese, and then worked with an Australian woman to translate them to English. A group of Israeli feminists also took it upon themselves to create versions of the illustrations in Hebrew. Now, more people have reached out to Rossetti through Facebook and offered to translate her work into even more languages. Next on the docket? Spanish, Russian, German and Lithuanian.
It’s an inspiring show of global solidarity, but the message of Rossetti’s art is clear in any language. Above all, her images celebrate being true to oneself, respecting others and questioning what society tells us is acceptable or beautiful.
"I can’t change the world by myself," Rossetti said. "But I’d love to know that my work made people review their privileges and be more open to understanding and respecting one another."”
From the site: All images courtesy Carol Rossetti and used with permission. You can find more illustrations, as well as more languages, on her Facebook page.
Oooh. I reblogged a partial version of this recently but I didn’t know how many more there were! I LOVE these!
OK SO THERE ARE TONS MORE OF THESE OF THE ARTISTS FB PAGE. GUYS THESE ARE AWESOME.
LETS APPLAUD CAROL ROSSETTI EVERYONE
#can i mention how cool it is to have a variation of sherlock holmes where he says stuff like this #because it’s important #and this episode is my favourite so far because it’s surprisingly accurate #and it was just great to hear him say this #because sherlock holmes is of course intelligent and a modern sherlock would know this #and even though this holmes does have that social crass and indelicacy he’s softer in some ways to the others #which is what makes him different and a new take and interesting to watch #he’s a rare fictional example of a character who is pragmatic and driven and a bit socially blunt but also has a firm moral intelligence too #just because a character can be blunt and rude and not understand that they’ve just insulted someone doesn’t have to mean #that they don’t understand right from wrong (via teacupsandcyanide)
The irony being, of course, that this is actually much more in tune with the original, ACD Holmes than many interpretations.
The original Holmes went after Moriarty because Moriarty lived off the suffering and misery of other people.
THIS FUCKED ME UP..
To be completely honest.
We don’t exactly Know that this Isn’t the case?
AND HE GREW UP TO BECOME A TRAVELLING TIME AGENT AND BEND THE BORDERS OF SPACE TIME AND SEXUALITY
Hawkeye vs. Deadpool #0
I really appreciated all the little nods to Clint’s deafness in this issue. I’m glad other writers are acknowledging it and it’s not just a temporary thing in Fraction’s run. I also enjoy the fact that Wade apparently knows sign language.
Also deadpool has his mask up to expose his lips so Hawkeye can read his lips so he doesn’t have to sign everything
I love Deadpool so much, you guys. Love love him. Every time I find out something new about Deadpool, I love him more, because it’s always shit like this.
Deadpool is lovely.
bun bun’s bark
Your kitten may be cute but we think it’s faulty…
it’s fucking puppycat oh my god
It only barks at the beginning- but it’s still cute.
Just look at the way her eyes flick to his mouth. Just look at it. Just look at the way he’s looking at her, and you know what she’s wanting and what she’s thinking, and he’s right there with her. If he hadn’t needed to save the world, this was the moment he realised he wanted to live again, while he’d been running on pure grief and wrath after Bucky’s fall.
And this is the second after she’s saved his life. He was the trapped Damsel in Distress, and she blew a guy to pieces to save him with a fricking machine gun. And that turns him on like no one’s business.
This is seriously a massive moment of him realising that yes, he is pleased to be alive and yes, there is someone there who is watching his back just like Bucky did. And he would have had her up against the nearest wall in a heartbeat.
Steve has a type: people who are capable, attractive brunettes who have saved his ass more times than he cares to count.
#THEY COUNTED #THEIR LOVE COUNTED #HE LOVED PEGGY #HE LOVED PEGGY SO MUCH #AND SHE LOVED HIM #THEY STILL LOVE EACH OTHER EVEN THO THEY’RE SEPARATED BY 70YEARS #THEY LOVE EACH OTHER SO MUCH #HE WAS GONNA KISS HER BUT HE HAD THINGS TO DO AND THE WORLD TO SAVE #STEVE ROGERS LOVED PEGGY WITH THE SAME INTENSITY THAT HE LOVED BUCKY #STEVE ROGERS IS BI #THANK AND GOODNIGHT (via genderqueerbarnes)
Are you fucking kidding me
People are capable of doing this and I can’t even drink from a cup without spilling some on my boobs
does anybody else think tired and sleepy mean two totally different things
sleepy is cute and dozing off and happy but tired is 10 cups of coffee and murder
reblogging because the last graphic comment is FLAWLESS
Traces of coca and nicotine found in Egyptian mummies - WTF fun facts
well DUH. a lot of historians are still trying to process the fact that ancient egyptians knew how to build boats, which is ridiculous. why would they not be seafarers and explorers?
this is not new or surprising information at all. it pretty much day one of any african-american studies course.
the egyptians knew that if they put their boats in front of the summer storm winds it’d blow them right across the sea to the Americas and they shared that with the greeks.
It’s really hard for people to understand that everyone had boats, exploration, and trade interactions without the same level of murder, colonization, and violence that the Europeans did. It’s really hard for people to get that.
The Sea-Craft of Prehistory (book; Eurocentric as heck)
Scientific Evidence for Pre-Columbian Transoceanic Voyages (273 pages-for the hardcore only!):The only plausible explanation for these findings is that a considerable number of transoceanic voyages in both directions across both major oceans were completed between the 7th millennium BC and the European age of discovery. Our growing knowledge of early maritime technology and its accomplishments gives us confidence that vessels and nautical skills capable of these long-distance travels were developed by the times indicated. These voyages put a new complexion on the extensive Old World/New World cultural parallels that have long been controversial.
#UGH GOD UR NOT GOOD AT THIS ACTING THING STOP #OKAY BECAUSE STOP ACTING WITH YOUR EYES #YOUR ENTIRE BODY LANGUAGE SHOWS ASSASSIN BUT YOUR EYES SHOW SCARED CHILD HE’S STILL BUCKY IN HIS EYES #SHOVE A KNIFE UP MY ASS #IT’LL HURT LESS (norocket)
It kills me that there are moments when the Winter Soldier is doing stuff that he has the eyes of someone who DESPERATELY wants off the ride. I’m not sure how aware of anything he is internally, but there are moments his eyes look horrified, like something in there is aware and has no clue how to stop what’s happening. They’re too wide. Too startled. Like someone being forced to do something at gun point. He does it several times in this scene, and he does it when he catches the shield after shooting Fury.
This really makes me think of the thing that SebStan said about WS: that he isn’t empty, his mind is all over the place.
It’s one thing I noticed on my rewatch, which was exactly how much he remembered in the chair scene, when he’s like “But I knew him.” He flashed back to the train, being pulled through the snow, the experimentation, the arm. He wasn’t robbed of his memories, he was robbed of their significance. And so, he has nothing to focus on except the mission.
Oh my GOD, Owen.
It entertains me that their organization was not even remotely secret. I imagine the locals all rolling their eyes whenever the team runs past, because it’s like when your kids are playing spy games and they’re being ‘sneaky’ and you have to pretend you can’t see them.
Whenever something really weird happens you just wander down to the docks, position yourself in front of a hidden camera, and sigh loudly. “Oh my, I sure hope that freaky alien-looking thing doesn’t eat my family. Boy, I wish there were someone around who could take care of that for me.”
And then you piss off and get lunch while they handle it, so you can avoid getting roofied.
And then you remember this little gem
"Excuse me… Have you seen a blowfish driving a sports car?"
outside the government, beyond the police, just down past the tourist information office, turn right at the docks, follow the pteradactyl screams, join the queue formed outside.
"Beyond the government, outside the United Nations, second left over the flyover, straight on at Budgens, right at the lights, then first left by the Quicksave" (x)
Shut. The fuck. Up.
Page 1 of 1209